Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Due 4/2


As I am a science major, I identified most with the metagenre: Responses to Academic Situations that Call for Empirical Enquiry. Empirical enquiry is “answering questions by drawing conclusions form systematic investigation based on empirical data.”(Carter) Being Biology major and now having taken many labs, what I find is that I am always trying to form questions and then I make hypothesis to try and answer those questions, which then leads to forming conclusions, based on the data that is collected in the experiments performed.

One point made by Carter in his paper was for Microbiologists, it’s that they must “interpret data and draw conclusions that allow the students to support or refute hypotheses and make a case for alternate hypotheses”(Carter). That is one of the main studies that I focus on, to be able to interpret the data that is presented. People in the science field usually wind up in that field of study because they like searching for answers by diagnosing data and seeing their hypotheses met with positive results. There is always research to be done and data to look over.

What we do is always very methodical, there is not all that much creative thinking other than when first deciding what question to pose and then it is similar processes each time in order to find the answers to said questions.  Answers are found through research and data and has to be read by many people before any of your conclusions are deemed acceptable for public consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment